Duvalley reserve red 2010 was the best red wine at the 2013 Brussels World Competition
The Duvalley Douro Reserva 2010 was considered the best red wine in tasting (Best Wine Trophy) at the Brussels World Competition. This is the second time in a row that a Portuguese red is the best in this tasting – last year, in Guimarães, it was the turn of Henrique Granadeiro’s Alentejo red Poliphonia Signature to win this award. The Duvalley brand is produced in the Douro by Sociedade Agrícola Castro de Pena Alba, owned by the FTP group (owned by businessman Fernando Tavares Pereira). This group also owns vineyards in the Dão region, with the brand Quinta do Serrado.
Otherwise, Portugal brought home 9 Grand Gold Medals, 92 Gold Medals, and 187 Silver Medals. The 19th edition of the Brussels World Competition took place in Bratislava (Slovakia) on May 10, 11 and 12. In total, 8,200 wines from 50 countries were evaluated. The panel of tasters, of 40 different nationalities, included 305 wine professionals, from sommeliers to buyers, importers, journalists, etc. One part was Portuguese, which included winemakers and wine tasting specialists.
After four years touring Europe (including Guimarães, in Portugal) the contest will return to Brussels in 2014 for the 20th edition.
By the way, and as a curiosity, France was the country that received the most medals (709), followed by Spain (524), Portugal (288), Italy (276), Chile (109), Slovakia (60), and Australia (47). In terms of Grand Gold Medals, it was Spain that took the palm, with 24; France was below with 18, twice as many as Portugal (with 9), the third most ‘golden’ country. Here are the most awarded wines:
Major Gold Medals for Portugal
- (Best Wine Trophy) Duvalley Reserva Douro red 2010 (Soc. Agrí. Castro de Pena Alba)
- Adega de Favaios Moscatel 1980
- d’Oliveiras Madeira Wine 1987
- Casa de Vilacetinho Vinho Verde Grande Escolha white 2012
- Cerro do Santo Douro Reserve red 2010 (Amka)
- Foral de Cantanhede Grande Reserva Beiras red 2009 (A. Coop. de Cantanhede)
- Quinta de Sant’Ana Lisboa Reserva red 2008
- Bridão Touriga Nacional do Tejo 2009 (Adega Coop. do Cartaxo)
- Garrafeira dos Sócios Alentejo red 2007 (Carmim)